Campaign Finance Reform
If we don’t get big money and special interests out of politics, our government can never truly represent the people. We must overturn Citizens United and implement comprehensive campaign finance reform. This is the only way to prevent corporations, billionaires, and special interests from buying votes and rigging the system.
• 77% of the public says there should be limits on the amount of money individuals and organizations can spend on political campaigns, according to Pew Research Center.
• The cost of the 2016 presidential and congressional elections was $6.5 billion, according to OpenSecrets.org.
• Super PACs can raise and spend unlimited amounts of money to influence the outcome of federal elections, according to CampaignLegal.org.
• In 2016, lobbyists spent $3.15 billion to influence the government in Washington (twice that in 2000), according to the New York Times.
• The richest 1% control half the world’s money, according to Credit Suisse.
Become a Defender
Photo by Shopify Partners