Below are the 10 most pressing issues the majority of Americans care about, yet little or no action is being taken. If you want to change this, click on what matters most to you and become a Defender.
1) Jobs — Americans don’t just need any jobs. They need jobs that pay a living wage. No one should work forty or more hours a week and still be unable to provide for their family. We must respect our nation’s most valuable asset: the working men and women who keep our country running. They deserve the dignity of being able to earn an honest living.
2) Healthcare — Even though most of us believe that no one should be denied life-saving medical care in their time of need, there are over 27 million uninsured Americans. Why is this? Because our medical care costs way too much. Nearly every other first-world nation provides healthcare to its citizens at half the cost or less. It’s time to overhaul the broken system.
3) Climate Crisis — The majority of Americans realize that ignoring climate change will only make matters worse. However, instead of dealing with this disaster, corrupt politicians are letting polluters rewrite our laws in oder to increase greenhouse gas emissions. If we fail to put our long-term survival ahead of short-term profits, our children will pay the price.
4) Taxes — Americans wonder how it’s possible for many of the ultra-wealthy to pay less in taxes than the middle class. It’s because they have access to lawyers, accountants, and tax shelters the rest of us don’t. It’s Robin Hood in reverse. We need to close the loopholes and use the windfall to reduce taxes on working families and small businesses.
5) Education — Right now, our top universities disproportionately favor those with money and connections. But what about the majority of Americans, who are forced to take on crippling debt just to obtain a college degree? We need to remove the financial barriers to education, making it accessible to anyone who works hard and has a sharp mind, no matter what their financial situation.
6) Corruption — If we don’t get big money and special interests out of politics, our government will never truly represent the people. We must make it a priority to overturn Citizens United, implement comprehensive campaign finance reform, and stop the revolving door between big business and government. This is the only way to restore true democracy to our country.
7) Gun Violence — Americans want to feel safe in their homes, schools, and communities. We need sensible gun laws that protect the rights of law abiding citizens to own guns, while keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill, and children. We can’t afford to sit and wait for the next mass shooting. We need systematic background checks, red flag laws, and other measures put in place now, before more lives are lost.
8) Voting Rights — No American should be denied the right to vote. We should extend voting days to include weekends, stop politicians from gerrymandering districts, set up more polling stations, automatically register every citizen to vote when they get their ID, and make it easier to vote by absentee ballot.
9) The Environment — All of us want a healthy environment for our children. Unfortunately, lobbyists are pushing to remove even the most basic environmental protections. This will not only increase the toxins in our air, food and water but also destroy our natural heritage and wildlife. We shouldn’t pay for polluters with our tax dollars and our health.
10) Our Future — America is not investing enough in our next generation. We’ve cut spending on education, underfunded our most prominent research institutions, and undereducated our youth, while other countries are doing the opposite. It is time to invest in developing the new infrastructure, technologies, and talent that America needs to compete and lead the world in the 21st century.
Photo by Roya Ann Miller on Unsplash